Journals of Jo

Journals of Jo

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Ancient Wisdom

I love quotes. Often search for one that seems appropriate for the subject I'm raving on about.  When I found the quote for my last blog, the one about change from Hercalitus, I was surprised to find how many of his quotations rang true to me. After all, the philosopher lived a very long time ago, around 500 BCE.  Truths are just that, I suppose---the unchanging truth. So, I've picked some of my favorites to share.


"The only thing that is constant is change."

"The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is who you become"

"To get everything you want is not a good thing. Disease makes health seem sweet. Hunger leads to the appreciation of being full-fed. Tiredness creates the enjoyment of resting."

"Dogs bark at what they don't understand."

"People ought to fight to keep their law, as to defend the city's walls."

"Even that, which those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend, are but opinions."

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and it's not the same man."

"Tis not too late to seek a newer world."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note