Journals of Jo

Journals of Jo

Monday, May 11, 2015

Are You Smarter Than a Neanderthal?

More than occasionally I rant and rave about the offerings on TV. Of course, I do know that the power button is the cure for my displeasure.  It seems more fun to watch and gripe.  Now, there's lots of television programming that I purely detest, but I usually have to admit that it is just a matter of taste and preference as to what a person views. After all, if we all were the same, the stores would only carry chocolate and wine.  I have always loved dancing, but watching so-called celebrities, under dressed and overly cheesy, dance in an exaggerated competition of who can be the corniest, just doesn't appeal to me.  Watching people fish, or chop down huge trees or drive big rigs on icy roads to their great peril just bores the teeth right out of my mouth! I can't think of a single human being that I'm so in awe of that I want to observe the everyday mundane details of their lives...no matter how trashy it is. 

In general, even though I don't enjoy so much of TV, I understand that some folks do. However, I'm sure that I've found something that on a scale of stupid from 1-10, must be a minimum of a 12. The most disheartening thing is that this program is offered for your pleasure by the Discovery Channel. The Discovery Channel, folks. Doesn't the very name imply that you will find something wonderful, learn something from watching their programming?  The only thing that I've learned from Naked and Afraid is that the people that produce television programming and the people who conduct the rating polls are among the high population of genetic idiots that are increasing in our society. 

Look at the depiction of the Neanderthal man, note that he is wearing a fur cloak to protect his body.  Not for modesty, not for style. Even a caveman knew that he needed to cover his body. It takes no genius to figure this out.  One walk in the snow or bite on the butt makes even a small brain seek out a solution to bareness. So what would be the point of throwing a modern man and woman out into a harsh wilderness, bare-ass naked and following them around with a camera? If I know you and you think that makes sense, please don't tell me. Please spare me that piece of personal insight into your psyche. Is it sex? Again...if a dirty, bitten and beat up nude survivalist turns you on, please don't share your little fetishes with me.  Unless the lesson here is Never try to survive in the wilderness with a naked idiot, I just don't get it.

Never a smarter thing said than "You can't fix stupid."  Whether you strip it bare or dress it up in sequins, stupid is, as stupid does.  I'm afraid and I've got all my clothes on (talk about scary, strip me down and put me in front of a camera) of a culture that finds this entertaining.  Maybe for fame, maybe for money...what-ever...the folks that broadcast this crap and the "stars" of it are pegging out the stupid scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note