Journals of Jo

Journals of Jo

Friday, July 7, 2017

Is More Enough?


I recently watched a documentary about the settling of the American West.  The first thing that stands out is the incredible dangers and hardships the adventurers into the wild and mostly unexplored vastness endured. I sincerely doubt that I, or the large majority of Americans today have the toughness of mind and spirit to make such journeys.

The second thing that really stood out to me was a commentary that when those that survived reached their lands of promise, they always began to clamor for the new territory to become part of the United States.  It struck me so clearly that it is in our very blood to constantly want more.

I do not believe that we, Americans, are empire builders. I don't think that we truly want to go out and conquer the world and gobble up land mass. I do think that we have this inherited desire for better than we presently have.  Even those like myself, who have embraced the idea that life can be smaller and simpler can't avoid that consuming need for making our lives the best. We want the most comfortable, efficient and unique small dwellings.  We didn't go out and pitch a tent and start growing potatoes.  We want less to be more.

Perhaps it is a human trait, but I somehow believe that there is some exceptional trait in Americans---we are dreamers and we reach out for the distant prize that will make our life better. The difference in those courageous pioneers that rolled before us;  they were willing to risk all, to give all to reach those treasures they sought.  So much of our present day population has lost all of that willingness to sacrifice and work for their goals.  Indeed, many don't even see why they should have to work for their prosperity.  Our success in acquiring "more" has weakened our character and strength of resolve.

While this diluting of the very blood that makes us Americans is a big disappointment to me, I'm still enough of a dreamer to believe in our spirit.  I truly believe that if a catastrophic disaster struck us tomorrow,  there would be those that survived who would immediately be gathering wood for a fire and looking into the distance, making plans to move forward. Even if we were reduced to nothing, I have no doubt that we would soon pick up our pursuit of more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note