Journals of Jo

Journals of Jo

Sunday, April 17, 2016

The New Rude




 
It's nothing new for me to rant about people and their cell phones.  I'm just amazed that it has somehow become acceptable for strangers to "share" their private business via cell phone conversations with everybody....anybody that happens to unfortunately be within their vicinity. They talk loud, they are not at all thinking of what they're supposed to be doing (especially driving a car!)
 
Oh-my-goodness...if I'm lucky enough not to have a sudden onset of diarrhea, I absolutely don't want to know about yours.  For christmas sakes, I'm just trying to decide which kind of bread I want to buy. Unless you do have the above mentioned malady, if you excuse yourself more than once to answer a cell call, when out with friends, at dinner etc.---I'm sorry, it's just plain annoying.
 
So, I'm a writer (I know that's a debatable statement) and I'm a big talker (anyone that knows me won't argue that).  I was reading a interesting discussion about what devices that authors use to write. Not that surprised to hear that some writers still begin their creations with pen or pencil and paper. Of course, every gadget from old typewriters to laptops and tablets, etc. are utilized.  I also get that since the day that any kind of voice recorder was available, authors recorded their ideas and musings. In our wonderland of technology these days, there are all kinds of methods to actually make audio notes.
 
When I read about how many present day writers use audio to create their books, once again I thought  Really?  I know that some people have the luxury of spacious living accommodations, however the hubby and I live half time in a small mountain cabin and half time in a travel trailer in our hometown area. If I spent hours of the day mumbling my brilliant fictional ideas into my laptop or tablet or whatever, there would be a brand new best seller out about the murder of the independent author who spouse shot her.
 
And again, I have a scary vision of writers wandering around the grocery store, on the street or bus, reciting their latest certainly to be million seller novel out loud to the world.  It's certainly a matter of method and preference, but I need to see the words on the page.  I write because I so greatly enjoy reading. It's not my business to say how other authors ought to work.  Most certainly though, if some stranger right next to me was muttering into his gadget about...so Hordicktus stabbed Lunetia twelve times with the large horn, note: will decide later how that made him feel...I would inform the clod how I felt.
 
I don't understand, and that's not an unusual feeling for me, why so many today think it's right to talk to any and everybody about any and everything. No matter if they don't want to know or hear.  I believe it's because of our narcissistic society that makes people think they have a right to whatever amount of space or importance they desire, and that they don't have to politely share the public places or have any consideration for others.
 
Calls can be returned later, private business should still be private, you're not the only person allowed a bit of space on this earth. If you're not speaking to me, please don't talk out loud, laugh, cry and curse right in my ear.  Excuse my old fashioned ways, but you're just rude.

2 comments:

  1. Rudeness (also called effrontery) is Grace and Conor. These norms have been established as the essential boundaries of normally accepted behaviour. This is to be unable or unwilling to align one's behavior with these norms known to the general population of what is socially acceptable is to be rude and are enforced as though they were a sort of social law, with social repercussions or rewards for violators or advocates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Annie, for the further explanation. Appreciate your interest. I know everyone's definition might vary. I may be off base, but my gut feeling is offense.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note