Journals of Jo

Journals of Jo

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Mental Prepping

I have often in my life been called a day dreamer.  I suppose that could be true.  Truthfully, anytime that I have a problem or a plan, it has always helped me to work through the details or solution in my mind. I do believe that in preparing for a catastrophe or for any crisis that might come along in your life, the mental prepping is the most important. It's great and smart to have all the physical basics of survival...water, food, etc., however if you're not mentally prepared for an upheaval in your life, you will be in desperate confusion.    
 
I think that it is very beneficial to think through "what if" scenarios. Allow your mind to explore the possibilities such as, what if  my car would not run, what if there were no utilities, no power, what if  I needed to eat and function right here for an extended period of time and protect my family?  I'm not talking about brooding or fretting over worrisome events, just thinking of some solutions, thinking of how you can insure that you have some options.  Mentally prepping for disasters will make you much more capable of dealing with difficult events that might occur.          
 
To me there is another part of mental prepping.  If you had visited my home for the big Thanksgiving meal, with my whole very eclectic family in attendance, you would quickly know that we are like the majority of American families these days. We are NOT a Norman Rockwell perfect picture.  The world is very complicated in our times. Families...grown children, grand children have tangled and far from simple  relationships and problems of dealing with the world of today. My family is no different from many. We love each other but we don't always like each other.     
 
The important thing is that we try to not live like we have an infinite amount of time to deal with disagreements and problems that arise.  None of us have that luxury.  I'm not saying we always totally solve all of our problems or that feelings are completely repaired.  We do try to find some middle ground, some places to make peace and accept our differences. The people that we love the most have the ability to hurt us or disappoint or make us the most unhappy. I honestly believe that we should not waste our energy or very precious time on anger, grudges or resentment. After all, tomorrow you may have to stand side by side against a threat to your very survival.
 
Mentally prepare for catastrophe.  Make thoughtful plans and do not bear grudges against those that may someday be your strongest allies.
 
 
 
                                                                                
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note